Monday, October 28, 2013

Nessie

Once upon a time, when I was a child, my parents took me to Loch Ness, in Scotland. I was surprised to find it not nearly so touristy as I had expected--if anything, the home of the famous Nessie was remarkably low-key. It led me to wonder if maybe the Scots didn't actually care that much about Nessie--similarly, I live in Washington State, and don't give a fig about Big Foot.

I once asked a Puerto Rican friend about the chupacabre. He unexpectedly grimaced, and it became quickly obvious that he found the whole business terribly embarrassing. "Probably just a dog, or someone's escaped monkey."

These legends seem to persist more vividly in the world of TV than in our real world. We want to believe that mysteries still haunt some other part of the world, even if our own personal bits are quite dull and un-mysterious.

Well, at least we still have fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment