Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Roses and Revolution

I recently finished A Brief History of 1917: Russia's Year of Revolution by Roy Bainton and The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Eco gives me some hope for my own work, that something described as "intellectual" might appeal to a wide audience despite--or perhaps because of--this. Bainton's history does not seem to have received the favor I think it ought to, being a fairly accessible introduction to the Russian Revolution, with some fascinating first-hand accounts.

I'm now reading The French Revolution: A Very Short Introduction, by William Doyle, a smattering of other things related to the revolutionary period in Europe, and The Horse, the Wheel, and Language: How Bronze-Age Riders from the Eurasian Steppes Shaped the Modern World, by David W. Anthony, which I hope will be good. I'm also trying, of course, to squeeze in more writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment