Friday, May 16, 2014

Into the Garden

I love gardens. Alas, I am not particularly adept at growing them. The night after I planted my strawberry and asparagus roots, we had frost.

A few weeks ago, I planted some flower seeds and some berry seeds (maqui berry seeds, to be exact. I didn't realize when I bought them that they're apparently the latest, over-hyped "superfood"--I just thought purple berries might taste good or at least look nice in the garden.) The flower seeds sprouted pretty quickly, but the berries... did nothing. Day after day, my dirt just sat there. Eventually some of the little dirt-pods started turning green from our abundant NW rainfall, but alas, nothing you could call a "plant." I had begun to dejectedly wonder if I should just dump the dirt into the garden and let some other plant make use of it, when I went out to check on my garden, and there were sprouts! Five of 'em, and probably more to come.

So, in a year or two, if I don't manage to kill the plants, I should have some berries. I'll try to remember to post a review of what maqui berries actually taste like.

No comments:

Post a Comment